I suggest you ...

Nightly Automatic Basecamp Sync

It would be really nice, if Basecamp projects were synced automatically, every night for instance. When we have more than 10 projects open at the same time it takes a very long time to sync each individually.

56 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    klauspostklauspost shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • arielle walratharielle walrath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd put in a voice against this, unless the way syncing happens can be changed. Currently, Cashboard will pull every To-Do list and item associated with a project in Basecamp—not just those marked as time trackable. We use to-dos to keep track of sometimes hundreds of bugs, notes and fixes as we move through projects so we can only sync once, at the beginning of a project, lest we pick up all of those details in Cashboard.

• Jubair SaidiJubair Saidi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what route did you guys take klauspost? Also for the nightly sync feature, I did a bit of poking around and I thing this would be a very viable solution for simply importing time entries and new to-do items. Am thinking the actual Sync for all projects can be left to be a manual "Sync All Projects" feature. thoughts?

• klauspostklauspost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If we had gone the Cashboard/BC route, it would have been approximately 100 projects.

I think the issue with server load could be made smaller by having a configurable time for sync, since "night" is different for different time zones. If you then run all projects marked for updates any given hour one at the time, you shouldn't be overwhelming the server.

Yes I did :P Plus 3 Interactive is our company. I handle the finances but Imene being my business partner (and wife), Phil our lead designer, Travis, Mike, and Tony contract designers and developers, and a few people who follow our work and hear about my rants on features and software we use, and why, etc, AND seeing as they all like having their time entries imported (to get paid on time) and nothing missed, it wasn't hard getting support :P

I see what you mean about performance issues.. what I am wondering then is that if in the intrim, you could set up some sort of batch import where I could manually sync all the projects? I mean I already do this manually one at a time, if anything am thinking the load on the servers would be better managed if there was a script designed to do exactly this (i.e. one at a time sequentially with any needed pauses).

Maybe another option is to use a timestamp markers (if present) like with basecamp you already know which items have been imported, so you could do a comparison or simply grab all time entries and to-do entries that occurred after the last import? Also the full sync feature wouldn't be necessary for this feature.. I think importing time entries and changes in to-do lists would be sufficient. No need to synchronize both. if a user notices an issue, they can manually sync that one project.

I can't really say if any of this would work though, I am not familiar with either API :/ (no time, and no paid project requiring the knowledge heh) so I don't know the details of how this can be done effectively for these two systems.

• SethAdminSeth (Founder, Cashboard) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone - how many projects are you syncing daily with Basecamp/Cashboard?

I'll strongly consider this, but some work needs to be done on our end to ensure the performance of this doesn't crush our servers and proper steps are taken for inactive accounts. I wouldn't want to be crushing 37signals' servers with unnecessary traffic.

Also - kind of strange you all voted / commented this within a day of each other. Jubair did you rally all these people from your company to support your cause? :)

- s

Hell even if Cashboard added a feature that allowed for synchronizing ALL projects with 1 click (with the usual options of which items to sync etc, though I always use the default I set up the first time).

• Imene SaidiImene Saidi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jubair and Phil are right, this feature would eliminate about an hour's worth of work every day!

• Philip MacedoPhilip Macedo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be nifty, Basecamp is such a good product, but so is Cashboard. It's a perfect match together! The nightly sync would save a lot of time, specifically with the freelancers/contractors. This is a must have in my book!

• Plus 3 InteractivePlus 3 Interactive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add, this would be VERY helpful for companies with multiple employees/contractors and projects all going at the same time. As it is now I would need to run an import for every project listed in Cashboard manually.. very time consuming when the whole reason I use Cashboard in the first place is to streamline efficiency :)

oh man would this be nice. basically just set up a default sync settings and let it run nightly instead of manually having to run the import every day... mind you some of my projects span years, with hundreds of tasks over that time.. and the import takes a WHILE heh... but i still run it every day. (run it in my browser and step away). if this is not something that would be implemented as a feature (would be great if it would be) is there a way to do this via the API? maybe i could write a php script and put it on a cronjob on my own server.

Feedback and Knowledge Base